Love is a powerful virtue, though subtle but very strong. There are various forms of love but the one of interest in this post is the Agape love. This love is way above the natural and superior. No mortal man has custody of this type of love but it is given to us by our Heavenly Father through the Holy Spirit. The love of God is shared abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost (Romans 5: 5)
Characteristics of Love ( 1 Corinthians 13: 4-8).
- Love is patient, it is not in a hurry.
- Love is kind even when others are not.
- It does not boast and is not proud.
- Love doesn’t dishonor others i.e it doesn’t look down on people.
- It is not self- seeking i.e always wanting to be the center of attraction, wanting respect or acknowledgment.
- Love is not easily angered, it can be self- controlled.
- It keeps no record of wrong.
- Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
- It always protects, trusts, hopes (which goes along with faith) and preserves.
- Love never fails.Other things may fail but love ( agape love) never fails and love is as strong as death. Faith, Prayer, sacrifices, giving and other virtues work on the basis of love.
If you take a look at the fruits of the Spirit (Galatians 5: 22-23) which is more important than the gifts of the Spirit (1 Corinthians 12: 1-11), a large percentage of these fruits have their characteristics in love e.g, patience, kindness, gentleness, self- control (not easily angered). This shows the relevance of love in the kingdom of God.
Also, the commandment God has given to us is a commandment of love i.e love God first then your neighbour as yourself (meaning you need to love yourself). As long as you are able to walk in love i.e agape love, you will be fulfilling the commandment of the old testament naturally. Above all, God is love.
If you are a believer or you don’t know where to start with your walk with God, start by building your love level in God. Study the Word of God regarding love, let the characteristics of love that has been spoken about be seen through you. Ask the Spirit of God to help you out and make a conscious effort to change.
It is not magical when these qualities start showing forth in your life, you become another person. This leads you to know God more and you wouldn’t trade your new life for any other thing else. The peace you will enjoy will be unbelievable.
Some Benefits of love
- 1)Corinthians 2: 9- 10: God begins to reveal His secrets things to you which makes you unique in your generation and you reap the benefits both here and in eternity. It was a secret that Job had that made him the greatest man in the east.
2)You begin to bear fruits naturally, (Daniel 12: 3). By turning many to righteousness you become a star forever and ever.
- Others include Wisdom, Divine protection, Peace like a river, joy unspeakable full of glory and every other good thing you can imagine.